October 17, 2009

What's for dinner...

So I thought some time ago that it might be fun to start sharing some of my recipes with you all (okay, the one or two that read this), but hadn't taken the time before now. I figure since I've not done much blogging lately due to nothing much exciting going on around here, this would be the perfect opportunity. Of course I say this now and it's the start of the holiday season, so I am sure I will start posting more... but in the mean time I'm going to go ahead and share a recipe or two with you here and there.

I love really easy recipes and I have a bunch that I've grown up with, some I've "borrowed" from friends, and also ones that I've pulled off the internet. I do enjoy cooking, but I don't do so well with being creative enough to come up with my own stuff. So the recipes I will be sharing will not be my own, but ones that I do love and enjoy making. They are simple recipes, most with not many ingredients and are just easy to make. I think that's why I like them most.

When I started cooking on my own and trying out recipes from growing up, I can't tell you how excited I was  when something that I cooked tasted like my moms. It still bring a smile to my face, even after all this time,  when I make something that tastes just like when mom used to make it. The first recipe that I'm going to share with you tonight is one of those recipes.


Hamburger Pot Pie

1 lb hamburger
1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped onion
1 can (pint) green beans, drained
1 can (10 oz) tomato soup
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8  tsp oregano
salt to taste
Pie Crust

To start...if you plan on making your own pie crust, I would make this now and get it ready, or you can make it while browning the hamburger. I have made my own crust before, but usually buy it. I haven't quite mastered pastry making.

Brown hamburger and onion together. Stir in green beans, tomato sauce and seasonings. Pour into pastry filled pie plate. Add top crust and cut slits.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

And that's it. It's really that easy, and such a good meal. If you have a larger family or want to share with friends this can be made in a 9 x 13 in pan. If you do this, you will need to make your own pie crust and would just double the recipe. (This is how mom did it growing up.) Or you could just do 2 regular pies.

It's a good idea to let it cool for 5 minutes or so for the sauce to thicken up.I got a little anxious and as you can see it's a little runny.

And it didn't come out very well either, but it sure did taste good. Hope you enjoy it if you try it!

No comments: