October 08, 2009

How'd you do that??

I've had a few people that wanted the info on how I made my scripture totes. I did take inspiration from others but did my own thing when I put mine together. I'm really not clever enough to think of something like that on my own, but am really good at copying :) I also do not promise for any of this to make sense, but if you need clarification on something...I'll try :)

How I did mine....

This is what you'll need...
*1 placemat ( I got some at the dollar store, Target and Walmart. They can be found for $2 or less)
*3 feet of ribbon for the handles (I used 1 inch wide)
*a little over 2 feet of ribbon for the accent stripe (I used a little wider ribbon, up to 1 1/2 inches) on the red  one
*1 silk flower
*safety pin
*thread

To put together...
1. Cut the ribbons for the handle 18 inches long
2. On each end of your placemat measure 3 1/2 inches in from the side and 2 1/2 inches in from the top and pin on your ribbon to create a hangle on each end of the placemat.
3. Sew on handles. I started on the cut end sewed to the and went around so that my thread ends would end up under my accent ribbon.
4. Cut accent ribbon to width of placemat, this will cover the cut ends of the handles
5. Measure down 2 inches from end of placemat (same side as your handles are on) and pin on your accent ribbon.(On the red version I didn't have any wide ribbon so I used one that was a little narrower then the handle ribbon and then a checkered ribbon that I had.)
6. Sew down both sides of ribbon.
7. Fold placemat in half with the handles on the inside. Match up sides and sew down them. I sewed in about a 1/2 inch so I didn't have to compete with the seams of the placemat.
8. (This is where it get's tricky and may not make sense) To make the corners squared, push the seam open and pin. Measure up 2 inches and draw a line. Sew on the line you drew. You can now cut out the excess leaving a 1/2 in allowance  or leave it there. (I'll take a picture and post it once I make another one since I've already turned in the samples I made).
9. Turn right side out. Put your scriptures or other books, items etc you want to carry in your cute bag and enjoy.

I really hope this makes sense.

Here are the websites I checked out when I was getting ideas...
Tote I, Tote II, Tote III in case you want to check them out.

Ta Ta for now!

3 comments:

Stuart and Sarah said...

Oh my gosh...I think I can do this. I am going to try it!!

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and Audrey... said...

Yay! If you need any help, just let me know!!

Bryan & Sarah said...

LOVE them! I might actually try one of these with Angie! They look so cute!