November 21, 2009

1st attempt...

Last year I had bought some small pie pumpkins for us to decorate. My thought had been that after Halloween was over I would scrub off the paint and cook it to make my own pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. Well...that didn't happen. So I bought some more pumpkins this year. They didn't get painted, but I did make my first attempt at a pumpkin pie today.
Here's the pumpkin pieces after they were baked in the oven. 

There was a sticker on the bottom of the pumpkin with pie directions, so I followed those.
It was pretty easy too.

The pie sure looks good. It baked really well and making it was a lot easier then anticipated. I did use a ready made pie crust. I've mentioned before that I haven't mastered pastry making and wanted to make this easy. (Maybe next time I'll try making my crust too?)
I have tried a piece of the pie and it's not bad...but needs a little more seasoning with my next attempt for Thanksgiving I think.
 I'll let you know how that one turns out.

Here's another of my easy recipes, just in time for Thanksgiving...another recipe from my childhood.

Easy Stuffing 

3 tbsp chopped onion
1/4 c. butter
4 c. cubed bread
1/2 tsp ground sage
2 to 4 tbsp or chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 1/2 c. celery

Cook onion in butter until soft. Combine with bread and seasonings. Toss with enough broth to moisten.  Bake at 350 degrees.
***
How I like to make this recipe: We like onion around here, so I actually use more onion, usually about a 1/2 cup and I don't use as much celery. When cooking the onions in butter I add the celery to cook it a little bit too. For the bread, I usually used a combination of both white and wheat breads. I have never cooked this inside of a turkey so I'm not sure how it would work. I like my stuffing a little toasty/crunchy but not too dried out, so I put it in a casserole to bake. Oh...and I'm not sure about the baking time. The recipe I've written down doesn't have a time. I just keep an eye on it and when it looks done to me I pull it out, about 20-30 minutes if I remember right from the last time I made it.

So if you need an easy stuffing recipe for this year. Maybe you'll give it a try! If you have any questions, let me know!

1 comment:

Brian_n_Amy said...

Yay Kristina! Go you! That is awesome! Most people (like me...he he he) would just buy the pumpkin pie filling and an already made crust and call it good. Good for you for making the pumpkin pie filling from scratch! Very impressive!